“And complete the Hajj and ‘Umrah for Allāh…” (Qur’ān Karīm, 2/196)
A gathering of the lovers of Allāh Ta’ālā is taking place. From all over the globe, people are flocking to the House of Allāh Ta’ālā to carry out the sacred rites of the Hajj. Moulānā Muhammad Zakariyyā Rahimahullāh used to say: “We have heard, O Allāh, that on your threshold, on your doorstep, Your lovers will be gathering from all over the world.”
Every Muslim cannot attend every year, but every Muslim can be with the Hujjāj in spirit. The most significant commodity that we possess is Islām. If our thoughts are not with the Hujjāj, our Du’ās are not with them, and we have no connection with the momentous occasion of Hajj, then this is an indication of weakness in our Īmān, and of our poor affiliation to Dīn. They should constantly be in our Du’ās, and our hearts should be in the Mubārak Lands with them!
In His infinite Mercy, Allāh Ta’ālā has given us the first 10 days of Zhul-Hijjah to earn great reward and accrue immense benefit, even though we may not be performing Hajj. Everyone understands the significance of Ramadhān, but very few acknowledge the importance of these 10 days.
Nabi Sallallāhu’ Alayhi wa Sallam once addressed the Sahābah Radhiyallāhu’ Anhum: “There are no days wherein good deeds are more beloved to Allāh Ta’ālā than in these 10 days.” They asked: “O Rasūlullāh! Not even Jihād in the Path of Allāh?” Nabi Sallallāhu’ Alayhi wa Sallam replied: “Not even Jihād in the Path of Allāh, except for he who goes out with his life and his wealth, and doesn’t return with anything.” (Bukhāri, 969)
Allāh Ta’ālā takes an oath by these 10 days in the Qur’ān Karim, highlighting their significance. We should make a point, therefore, to take advantage of the opportunity handed to us by Allāh Ta’ālā.
– Recite in abundance: the 3rd Kalimah (Subhānallāh, Alhamdulillāh, Lā Ilāha Illallāh, Allāhu Akbar). Nabi Sallallāhu’ Alayhi wa Sallam ordered us to increase the recitation of Tahlīl (Lā Ilāha Illallāh), Takbīr (Allāhu Akbar), and Tahmīd (Alhamdulillāh) in these 10 days. (Musnad Ahmad, 2/57)
– Stay away from all sins. If we cannot excel in ‘Ibādah, let us at least abstain from sin.
– Exert ourselves for some part of the nights in Salāh, Tilāwah of the Qur’ān Karīm, and Du’ā.
– We should fast, especially on the 9th. In a Hadīth, Nabi Sallallāhu’ Alayhi wa Sallam says that he hopes from Allāh Ta’ālā that the sins of the previous and coming year will be forgiven through it.
– Men should perform all their Salāhs in the Masjid, in Jamā’ah. This should carry on throughout the year
Through this, we will be gaining some likeness with those in Hajj! As they recite the Labbayk, we will be repeating the 3rd Kalimah. As they engage in ‘Ibādah during the nights, so will we. As they perform the rites of Hajj on the 10th, we will be fulfilling the rites of the Udhiyyah (Qurbāni)!
May Allāh Ta’ālā give us the ability to make the maximum of the coming blessed days, Āmīn!
29 Zhul Qa’dah 1444 / 19 June 2023