1. Do not look at the sky, the private part or the stool and urine while relieving yourself.
2. Do not spend more time in the toilet than is necessary. If the toilet is shared between a few people or is a public toilet, then spending more time than necessary may cause inconvenience to others.
3. Relieve yourself in the squatting position. It is makrooh for one to relieve himself while standing.
Hazrat Aaishah (radhiyallahu anha) mentions, “Whoever informs you that Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) would relieve himself standing, then do not believe him. Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) would only relieve himself while sitting (squatting).”
Hazrat Abu Hurairah (radhiyallahu anhu) reports that Hazrat Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) said, “Most of the punishment (meted out to most people) in the grave will be on account of urine (i.e. being unmindful regarding urine splashes and impurities. Therefore, their wudhu, salaah and other ibaadaat will not gain acceptance due to remaining impure).”
5. When making istinjaa, use clods of sand (or toilet paper) as well as water to clean yourself. Ensure that you fill the jug with water before relieving yourself, as you may put yourself through difficulty if there is no water.
Hazrat Abu Hurairah (radhiyallahu anhu) reports that Hazrat Nabi (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) said, “The aayah فِيهِ رِجَالٌ يُحِبُّونَ أَن يَتَطَهَّرُوا (in it are men who like to observe purity) was revealed regarding the people of Qubaa on account of them making istinjaa with water.”
قال علي رضي الله عنه إن من كان قبلكم كانوا يبعرون بعرا وإنكم تثلطون ثلطا فأتبعوا الحجارة بالماء (المصنف لابن أبي شيبة، الرقم: 1645)
Hazrat Ali (radhiyallahu anhu) mentioned, “The stool of the people before you was dry and hard and the stool of you people is more soft (i.e. due to the nature of their food being different). Therefore, make istinjaa with clods of sand and thereafter cleanse with water (as soft stool soils the area around the passage).”
6. Use your left hand to clean yourself. To make istinjaa with the right hand is impermissible (makrooh-e-tahreemi). Similarly, do not touch your private part with your right hand.
عن عبد الله بن أبي قتادة عن أبيه رضي الله عنه عن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قال إذا بال أحدكم فلا يأخذن ذكره بيمينه ولايستنجي بيمينه (صحيح البخاري، الرقم: 154)
Hazrat Abdullah bin Abi Qataadah (radhiyallahu anhu) narrates from his father that Hazrat Nabi (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) said, “When any of you relieves himself then he should not hold his private part with his right hand nor should he make istinjaa with his right hand.”