1. One should adopt a gentle approach when dealing with one’s companions and engage in light-hearted discussions while on the journey. One should not adopt a serious approach.
2. Do not undertake a journey unnecessarily. If one has a need then one should undertake the journey, and upon completing one’s need one should hasten to return home.
عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه عن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قال السفر قطعة من العذاب يمنع أحدكم طعامه وشرابه ونومه فإذا قضى نهمته فليعجل إلى أهله (بخاري رقم 1804)
Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Travelling (i.e. its difficulty is like) a portion of the difficulty of the punishment of Jahannum which prevents one from his food, drink and sleep. Thus, when one completes his work he should hasten back to his family.”
3. When travelling, one should guard his gaze and as far as possible, try to avoid sitting next to females. One should avoid speaking to the air-hostesses or any na-mahram.
قُل لِلمُؤمِنينَ يَغُضّوا مِن أَبصـٰرِهِم وَيَحفَظوا فُروجَهُم ذٰلِكَ أَزكىٰ لَهُم إِنَّ اللَّـهَ خَبيرٌ بِما يَصنَعونَ (سورة النور)
Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their chastity, that will be more pure for them: And Allah Ta’ala is fully aware of all that they do.
عن معقل بن يسار رضي الله عنه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم لأن يطعن في رأس أحدكم بمخيط من حديد خير له من أن يمس امرأة لا تحل له رواه الطبراني والبيهقي ورجال الطبراني ثقات رجال الصحيح (الترغبي و الترهيب رقم 2938)
Hadhrat Ma’qal bin Yasaar (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “It is better for you that your head be pierced with an iron needle than touching a woman that is impermissible for you.”
4. Carry a lota (jug) and water for the toilet and wudhu.
5. Instead of engaging in vain talk or listening to a nazm etc. occupy yourself in zikr and tilaawat of the Qur’aan Shareef.
6. During the journey, if you are the driver, then ensure that you drive safely. Do not be reckless in your driving.
7. Keep necessary personal information on yourself, or whatever documents one may require on his journey. (e.g. passport, I.D. etc.)
8. First find out the route before embarking on the journey.
9. Keep others comfortable and be of service to them during the journey.